Book review for Out of my mind by Sharon Draper

Out of my mind by Sharon Draper Book summary

Out of my mind is a fictional novel about a girl named melody. She is nearly 11 but she has not spoke one word in her life, And it’s not because of choice rather, chance. She definitely has a fiery personality in the fact she has lots of unique emotions at everything but can show them due to the next sentence.Even though it if the book is fictional, Sharon drapers daughter was similarly disabled which inspired melody. The both have Cerebral Palsy which disables them in many ways such a limited speech, and inability to control her own self therefore no walking or talking. She faces what no ten year old should have to face. When she enters Spoulding street elementary school for a wild and emotional roller coaster.She is also Mentally intelligent in ways like she has remembered everything that has ever happened to her.Even though she has a disability, she has the ability of resilience and courage which is what takes her everywhere she wants to be.

Some of the many themes of this book Include Family for the strong connection with Melody’s family, friendships with rose and some teachers and so many more that I would be going on for hours. Also Melody shows lots of Carey positive learner attributes such as resilience for staying happy in the worst, courage for stepping up and going to school and a not very common one but imagination for having a wild mind (in a good way).

Some of the thorns in Melody’s plant include Molly and Claire. They always have something to say about melody being smart like She’s cheating in ways like that other people are giving her the answers. Also when they nuke A trip to an aquarium that would and could have been perfect. Also when melody actually does something amazing they just have to take advantage of her (also I was being sarcastic when I mentioned they just have to). Overall molly and Claire are your average bullies who bully whoever they can for whatever reasons.

Sharon Draper has created a beautiful story about a disabled kid fighting her way through school. She uses a lot of similes and metaphors to hint and describe further in the text with the smallest hints that most of them you don’t even know. It’s just a beautiful heartbreaking book, a masterpiece by Sharon Draper. I recommend this book for 8 years and over but some themes such as actions that molly and Claire do can influence children 7 and under therefore me personally recommending this book to years 9-10 or older.

One comment

1. Hi Dillon, as you can probably tell, I’m one of your blog buddies.
    I really liked this post. It had a lot of descriptive language and was very detailed. You used simalies and metaphors which made this writing quite interesting.
    This post was also quite humorous, which I think is great!
    Some advice is focus on your grammar and punctuation, there were a few times I stumbled while reading this. Other than that this was a great post, especially since you haven’t had a blog for very long.

Keep up the good work,
    Sylvie